Sunday, April 29, 2007

chitchat with Gulam

Today I went to the university in a Taxi, with my mom and our maid…
It was 10:00 AM, when we entered the taxi; he was listening to Quran from the radio. He’s in his 40’s, and his name is Gulam, I read it from the Identity tag stacked in the back of the front passenger seat.


With out any introductions, I asked Gulam:

-“Are you from Parichinar?!”
>>>I always start my conversations like this with this stupid question!
I’m not sure if it’s a good or a bad thing…
-“No, I’m from Soat (spelling?!)

I didn’t asked Gulam about his village (which I regret now)…Instead I asked him about Parichinar...He said the majority there are Shiaa Pakistanis’, and about Peshawar, he said it’s mixed but the majority are Sunni’s...

Then, I asked him about the issues between Waziristan and Parichinar people; he nodded his head (up & down) and said laughing:

-"Yes, there were always problems between them" (nodding his head left & right)

Then I asked Gulam:

-“Are you Shiaa?!”

He smiled, and after 20 seconds said:

-“No, I’m Sunni (smiling)...Are you Shiaa?!”

- “No, we’re Sunni”

-“Oooh, (smiling), I thought you’re Shiaa…ha ha ha…everybody in Madinat Zayed is Shiaa!”

And then Gulam begun talking about Shiaa! :
-“So now, are Shiaa Muslims or not?! I say they’re half Muslims (laughing)”

Me: =D

-“I don’t know how are they?! They act different, pray different! They’re different Muslims!”

Me: =)

“Do you think they’ll go to heaven?!”

Me: =\

No comments: